Dear Younger Self,
Life is a journey; embrace all it brings your way. Know that change is inevitable. Life is going to be tough but exciting. Trials and obstacles will shape who you are, always be strong. You will have tons of experiences learn from them all.
I’ve learned some things over the past 10 years or so, some good and some bad. If I would have had these “Nuggets” as a young woman, things would have been a little easier as I developed into the person I am today.
Here are some things I wish I had known:
• Your attitude matters – and you can control it.
• Follow your dreams – you are in complete control of your future.
• Let go of your ego – Egos are a false sense of self. The ego is never satisfied and feeds itself on wanting.
• Confidence is key – Be confident in all that you do.
• Always respect yourself – If you don’t respect you, no one else will.
• Enjoy life, this is not a rehearsal.
• Never leave the house looking unacceptable, you never know who you will meet.
• Life is what YOU make.
• Learn to let go- Let the sun set on yesterday and start anew.
• Always focus on the positive because focusing on the negative only makes things worst.
• Do not be so judgmental or dismissive; give people chances.
• Always think on your feet.
• Make your money work for you; investing is key to financial freedom.
• Procrastination gets you nowhere. Just do it!
Remember you cannot please everyone all the time. Surround yourself with people who lift you up. Sometimes even family members can bring you down. You must remain strong and focus on the bigger picture…YOUR dreams and aspirations. Know what you want and don’t settle.
Embrace your Difference: Don’t be afraid to be who YOU are.
Intuitions: Learn to listen to your gut, it’s rarely wrong.
Dreams: You are in charge of your destiny, so dream big!
Men: You are going to meet a lot of them. Do not let them take advantage of you. You have a lot to offer and if he doesn’t treat you right then move on. Your heart will be broken many many times but without heartache you cannot appreciate your true soul mate. You will learn that men do not validate you; only you can validate yourself. It will take a while to figure that out but you will finally get it. Always respect yourself!
Work Hard: Most things come easily to you. As a result you put in the bare minimum to get by. Learn to work hard because nothing worth having comes easy.
Boundaries: Do not draw invisible boundaries for yourself. Try things once just to say you’ve done it. Life is about experiences, be adventurous.
Grace & Poise: Always carry yourself with grace and style. It’s always wonderful to be elegant, it’s always fashionable to have grace, it’s always glamorous to be classy, and it’s always important to be sophisticated! Classiness is about being refined, about carrying yourself with charm and doing things with panache. It is not always about what you wear. Rather it’s about how you present yourself that determines your classiness.
Owning what’s yours: Own your successes and your mistakes equally. All that you are and all that you are not is because of YOUR own doing.
Had I known/believed these things – back when I was teenager/young adult, I might have avoided a great deal of heartaches, disappointments and struggles in my young adult life. Be the woman you want to be; desire career success, money, happiness and effortless style. You may not realize it now, but you have a lot more power over your life than you realize. Don’t ever forget that. Every day is brand new and rich with opportunities to do whatever you dream — so dream BIG.
Now step towards a life of your own design!!
Your Staunchest Ally,
Your Older Self